Workshop: February 7th – 10th, 2019; FOUR DAYS, Fee: $795 CANFábio Cembranelli, a renowned Brazilian artist, started painting at university, where he studied architecture. After graduating, he took drawing, sculpture and photography courses in his hometown of São Paolo, and continued his studies in Europe and US during the 90s. He still lives and works in São Paulo. His paintings feature in exhibitions and collections worldwide.
“What compels me to paint in watercolour is the possibility of painting quickly. It suits my personality best – the fluidity of the medium provides a unique sensation of unexpected colour mixing, particularly when I define only the main masses and allow the unpredictable to happen on the rest of the paper so timing is quite important in my method. I lean intuitively toward realism, but the right speed forces me to create diffused effects and shapes. My favourite subjects are flowers, landscapes and sunlight effects on balconies, doors and windows. I am always enchanted by the attempt to capture the contrast between loose and definitive edges, as well as light and shadow effects.”
His Vancouver workshop will be focused on how to capture the individual essence of a subject. Fabio will guide artists in developing loose and spontaneous watercolor techniques enhancing their own personal intuitive approach:
- wet on wet techniques;
- watercolor painting on damp paper;
- the importance of white paper: how to save or restore it;
- composition rules: how to enhance the focal point;
- how to work fast and capture the essential;
- how to capture the freshness and beauty of the flowers;
- light and shadow effects on windows, doors, gates and balconies;
- landscapes: flowers fields, skies and water reflections.
There will be daily demonstration paintings (2 or 3) followed by individual attention.